The Canadian Penny
As of February 4th, 2013, the Royal Canadian Mint will no longer circulate the penny. What this means to us:
- Customers can continue to use pennies for cash transactions indefinitely, if available, as they are still considered legal tender
- When pennies are not available, cash transactions will be rounded to the nearest five-cent increment in a fair and transparent manner.
- We do not round prices for individual items. Only the final total price will be rounded.
- We do not round automatically if consumers have the exact change.
- Sales taxes will not be rounded. Only the final total price will be rounded.
Please note it will take a long time for the penny to disappear, therefore we will continue to accept and use the penny until they are no longer available.